Stomach pain is very common in young children, and in most instances, the source turns out to be rather innocuous, whether it be due to hunger, mild constipation, or a very mild stomach bug. However, stomach pain could sometimes indicate a more severe health problem that requires prompt and proper treatment. Fortunately, here at Downers Grove Pediatrics in Downers Grove and Bolingbrook, IL, one of our pediatricians can help you figure out what’s causing your child’s stomach pain.
The Most Common Causes of Stomach Pain in Children
Many health issues could cause stomachaches in kids. These include:
- Food-related Issues: eating too much, food allergies, or food poisoning
- Gut or Bowel Issues: constipation or irritable bowel syndrome
- Infections: bladder or kidney infections, gastroenteritis, or infections in the chest or ear
- Surgical Issues: appendicitis, intussusception, or bowel obstruction
- Issues Outside the Stomach: migraine or muscle strains
- Period Pain: In some girls, pain may be present before the start of their period
- Anxiety: Kids may experience abdominal pain when they’re concerned about themselves or those around them. If you’re concerned that your child has anxiety, inform your pediatrician immediately so that you can find proper help for your child.
Treating Abdominal Pain in Kids
The treatment for your child’s stomach pain would depend on the exact cause of their pain and other symptoms. This may range from keeping your child at home to rest up, eating a stomach-friendly diet, consuming more fluids, taking medications, or possibly another approach that we can prescribe during a consultation.
When to Seek Medical Help
Head to one of our offices in Downers Grove or Bolingbrook, IL, to see one of our pediatricians if your child is exhibiting any of these symptoms:
- Chills of fever
- Worsening or severe abdominal pain, or pain that seems to move or radiate
- Excessive sweating and pale skin
- Refusal to drink or eat
- Vomiting for over a day
- Blood in stool or vomit
- Rash with pain
- Difficulty passing urine
Concerned about Your Child’s Abdominal Pain?
Visit or contact Downers Grove Pediatrics to have your child evaluated by one of our pediatricians as soon as possible. You can call (630) 852-4551 to reach our Downers Grove, IL, office or (630) 759-9230 to reach our Bolingbrook, IL, office