Your pediatricians in Bolingbrook, and Downers Grove, IL, can help with ADHD, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
If your child is acting out, it could be more than just a momentary behavioral issue. Your child could have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. ADHD can be difficult to diagnose because it can resemble normal behavioral issues, common in children as they grow. Your pediatrician is an expert at diagnosing and treating ADHD in Bolingbrook, and Downers Grove, IL.
The pediatricians at Downers Grove Pediatrics provide comprehensive medical services for children, including treatment for ADHD. They have two convenient office locations to help you and your child.
There are some common signs and symptoms to look out for, including:
- Difficulty listening and following directions
- Problems staying seated for a period of time
- Frequent fidgeting or squirming around
- Forgetting or losing things
- Chronic difficulty with organizational skills
- Inability to pay attention to details
- Chronic blurting out and commenting
- Chronic excessive talking
- Moving around, running, or other activities when it’s not appropriate
Untreated ADHD can lead to lifelong problems like these:
- Slow learning and poor grades
- Aggressive, destructive behaviors
- Difficulty with relationships
- Depression and mood swings
- Insomnia and other sleep disorders
Treatment for ADHD typically combines several options, including:
- Using medications that enhance the ability to focus, increase brain function, and increase self-control abilities. Some typical ADHD medications include Ritalin and Adderall.
- Trying behavioral therapy techniques with both the parents and the child; these behavioral modifications use techniques designed to reduce inappropriate or destructive behaviors.
- Introducing lifestyle modifications, which may focus on diet, including lowering sugar intake and increasing vitamin and nutrient intake. Other lifestyle modifications include increasing activities and exercise.
To learn more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of ADHD in Bolingbrook, and Downers Grove, IL, talk with the experts by calling the pediatricians at Downers Grove Pediatrics. You can reach them at (630) 852-4551 or (630) 759-9230 now!