Has your child recently been diagnosed with asthma? Yes, it's a serious, chronic lung condition, but your youngster (and you) can live well with it by being proactive. At Downers Grove Pediatrics in Bolingbrook and Downers Grove IL, our six pediatricians and their dedicated team help families do just that. Here's the information you need.
What is asthma?
Asthma is an inflammatory lung condition that affects millions of people across the globe. The American Lung Association says that asthmatic children typically develop symptoms and receive the diagnosis by age five. Often, these kids also have a first-degree relative with asthma, have co-existing health conditions such as allergies and eczema, and develop symptoms such as:
- Chest tightness and shortness of breath
- Coughing, particularly at night
These symptoms develop because of airway inflammation and the rapid and copious production of mucus in the lungs.
Symptoms, lung function tests, breath sounds, and chest X-rays confirm the diagnosis. Your Bolingbrook, IL pediatrician comprises individualized care plans for their asthma patients.
Often called asthma action plans, these strategies help children, parents, caregivers, teachers, and others cope in the event of escalating symptoms. Daily, a care plan assists families in warding off symptoms before they even begin.
Living with asthma
Here are some practical tips to keep your child breathing well:
- Identify your child's allergic triggers. Your Bolingbrook, IL pediatrician can help you do that with allergy testing. Once you know what sets off an asthma attack, you can minimize or avoid your child's exposure.
- Get your child an annual flu shot at Downers Grove Pediatrics.
- Know about your child's routine and rescue medications. If he or she is old enough, make sure they carry an inhaler and know how to use it. Plus, they must receive their long-term control meds as prescribed.
- Keep track of peak flow, the measure of how much air your child exhales in one breath. Decreasing peak flow can indicate an upcoming asthma attack.
- See your pediatrician for well-child visits annually, keeping up on vaccinations, and calling the office for a sick visit or any time you have a question or concern about your youngster's breathing.
We want to help
Any chronic health condition, such as asthma, can be challenging. That's why our professional staff at Downers Grove Pediatrics is available to help families stay well. For more information, or if you need an appointment, call our pediatricians at either location. For Bolingbrook IL, phone (630) 759-9230. In Downers Grove, call us at (630) 852-4551.